Saturday, 24 May 2014

45-Year-Old Fat Man Fails To Win Prestigious Literary Award


Well, last night was the presentation of the 2014 Myriad Editions First Graphic Novel Award and I didn't win (although I did get some Myriad graphic novels as a runner-up prize, which was nice).  Other than that, though, it was a great evening.  All of the shortlisted entries were very good and the incredibly talented Jade Sarson was a deserving winner.  I was very nervous before I went up on stage to do my reading but it ended up going really well and I was very pleased with the response I got.  I really wasn't sure how well a book about my history of embarrassing health problems would go down but reaching the shortlist in this competition, getting a lot of laughs during my reading, and having a lot of people come up to me after the reading to tell me how funny it was has really boosted my confidence in this project. I will definitely be completing it. Thank you to Myriad and the judges for shortlisting me (and for the graphic novels), I really appreciate it.

I should probably get on with the rest of the book now.

6 comments:

  1. Yes, finish the book so we can read it. We did good last night – so brave! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finish yours, too! I really liked the first part and am looking forward to reading part two. Ironically, I was on the verge of having a panic attack while you were up on stage and very nearly ran out to use the toilet (is there such a thing as irritable bladder syndrome?) but luckily it passed by the time I had to go up there. Hope to see you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You gave a great reading! Please do finish the book and let me know as soon as I can pre-order it! Keara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Keara. I am definitely going to continue with it. It probably won't be finished for a year or more but I MAY publish the various chapters as individual comics before I collect them in a book or put the first chapter on my website for free (my website is rubbish at the moment but I have started to build a better one this weekend). If I do either of those things, there should be something to read soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to have just found this out... and for not being in touch recently. The move, and the building of much flatpack furniture, has been my entire focus of attention these last few weeks.

    I'm sorry you didn't win, Rob, but I'm glad that not winning proved such a positive experience. Looking forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. No worries. That may be my life soon, as we are seriously thinking about moving to get away from our nutty neighbour now. I hate assembling flatpack furniture!

    It was a positive experience (apart from the panic attack while I was waiting to go on stage) but now I am back to sitting in a room on my own, being ignored. I am on the last page of chapter one now and will send you the whole chapter when it's done. Not much progress with DOTP #3, I'm afraid (I'm still half way through inking page three, which is probably where I was before you moved).

    ReplyDelete